2 Corinthians 9:11 (NIV)
11 You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
In preparing his church in Corinth to give an offering, Paul tells his church that God "who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion" (verses 10-11). From this we can learn the following:
1. When you give an offering to help others, do it in faith, believing that God will supply all your needs and even bring an increase to what you have.
2. The reason God blesses us is "so that you can be generous on every occasion" (v11). In other words, God blesses us so that we can bless others. You are blessed to be a blessing! God is generous with us so that we can be generous with others.
3. When you give generously to others, so many benefits result:
- you give God a chance to bless you and to work in your life (v10). The more you give, the more you will reap in return (v6);
- God will make sure you don't lack a thing (v11)
- you supply the needs of others (v12);
- those who receive or hear about your generosity will give thanks and praise to God (v12b-13)
- when you're generous to another person, your relationship with that person goes to another level. As Paul says, "their hearts will go out to you" (v14)
Praise God! When we practice generosity, we gain favour with God and with people.
Who is someone you can be generous to today?
Let's be generous with what God has given us, knowing that we've been blessed to be a blessing.